Thursday, September 9, 2021

Sweet Dreams Are Made of This

 I had a dream last night that really resonated with me yet was bittersweet. It might have been a “visit”, but regardless I wanted to share it with you while it’s still fresh.

In this dream my good friend Tom Finch came to visit me at Marie’s house. I was so glad to see him! Judging by his hair, it should have been the 70’s, but based on circumstances I know the timeframe was between late 2004 and Fall of 2015. We spent time catching up, and then he took a seat at the piano.

Tom, even in high school, was a very accomplished pianist. In the dream I sat on the piano bench next to him and he said, “Let’s play a duet.” “Oh no,” I demurred, “you know I only took lessons for a couple of years.” “Coward!” he teased. “Then let’s get a book out and play.” At this point, Marie, Clancy, Robin and a couple of relatives were sitting in the living room watching us.

Tom and I looked in the piano bench where the music books were kept: but there weren’t any. I rummaged around on top of the piano but was only able to find a music book entitled “The Star-Spangled Banner” which was full of patriotic songs. We took a pass on that. Another couple of books were old and tattered so they were no good to us. I finally said to him, “Play something from memory.” “Like what?”  I didn’t even have to think about it. “Play ‘Morning Has Broken’.”

Clancy had his radio going so I told him to turn it off while Tom played; and he did.

When we were in high school, one day Tom really did stop by to visit. He met Marie, who loved the piano, and he sat down and played ‘Morning Has Broken’ for her. As a teen girl I was already a little in love with him, but that sealed the deal for me. But alas: we were never more than good friends…

Getting back to the dream: as he played Marie was watching and smiling, the other relatives were enjoying the performance and Robin was smiling. Then I realized that Tom was playing my old piano, which Marie and Robin had traded in years ago for Robin’s new piano. My father wasn’t there as he had died in 2004. And if there were no piano books anywhere: Robin was gone too because she always had the piano bench stuffed with music books, the top of the piano held books and there were always 2 or 3 on the music stand. She passed away in 2015 yet she showed up smiling in my dream.

So there you have it. I woke up with that bittersweet feeling in my heart because of the people I miss, but it’s always good to “see” Robin! When I saw Tom at a reunion a few years ago, I asked him if he still played. Sadly, he has arthritis and doesn’t play anymore. What a shame because he was concert-good. But at least he can still play in my dreams, and I’m grateful for that.

3 comments:

  1. Love ❤️ it Rita. You are a good woman that only has Love in your Heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richie thanks so much for reading, and commenting ๐Ÿ˜€ ❤

      Delete
    2. Richie thanks so much for reading, and commenting ๐Ÿ˜€ ❤

      Delete