Friday, August 6, 2021

Friday Flash

 

I’m at work and listening to my cool tunes on the Victrola (my phone). The song “The Big Payback” by James Brown comes on, and suddenly I have a flashback…

I’m back in high school at a Friday night dance. My best friends are with me, and the deejay is actually pretty good.  We were chitchatting, but all of us had our eyes on one of the chaperones. It was a student teacher named John Kahn.

In my mind’s eye I can still see him: taller than me, slender, slightly wavy dark hair, dark brown eyes and glasses and a mustache. Being a student teacher, he wasn’t all that much older than we were; and every girl I knew had a crush on him. Of course, I didn’t let anyone know that I had a crush, because I didn’t want to seem like everyone else. And you know how I like to stand out in a crowd!

Anyhoo, when a group of girls would dance he would join them and they would be jostling for position next to him. But being me: that wasn’t good enough. So during a lull I actually went up to him and said, “Do you think we could dance to the next one?” “Yeah sure!” he responded. Now I wasn’t sure if he actually meant it, if he said it to be nice, or if he was stoned and didn’t know what he was saying. (Oh please: we all knew he’d snuck outside to smoke weed with whoever was holding!)

Imagine my inner surprise and delight when he came to claim me for “The Big Payback”, which was one of my favorite songs! I couldn't believe the deejay had that song! And although his rhythm was a little off: who cared??? I was the only one he was dancing with and everyone was watching and all of my friends were totally jealous! And at the end of the day: isn’t that what it’s all about? I was the only one he solo danced with, probably because no one else knew how to catch that rhythm. (including him but again: who cared? He was hot.)

Ah, memories! And this was a good one for me. I sometimes wonder what ever happened to him, and if he really became a teacher. Regardless: I hope Mr. Kahn  led a good life and kept on dancing. You know I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment