Monday, May 24, 2021

Not Enough Time

 I found out at church yesterday that my good friend, and brother in Christ, Larry Ball, passed away Saturday. It was like a punch to the gut. I knew his health had been fragile for a while, but I thought I'd have him for more than two years...

I met Larry and his wife at our church after they had attended a funeral service for a relative who passed away. They came for the service and repast, and then continued to come. Except when they were wintering in Louisiana 😊 Back in BC (before covid) we would do a little meet and greet before service started so you could say hi and shake people's hands. 

Larry was a big, gentle giant of a man. I remember shaking hands with him for the first time and his hand more than engulfed mine. He had a smile as big as his heart. "How are you today, Miss?" Extra points for not calling me ma'am! His smile was contagious and reached his eyes. Every Sunday after that I always made a beeline for him because he had the Spirit of Christ emanating from him. He was a good Christian man who loved to serve the Lord, and brought that from his home church to our church. I'm so glad!

His wife was one of the best singers our church had ever had, and I liked sitting in front of them so I could hear her sing the hymns with her amazing voice. Then covid hit and they had to take proper precautions because they were over 65 and for his health reasons. So I missed them for awhile!

However, he and I became Facebook friends. I loved whenever he would send me a message or comment on a post, because he always called me 'gal' and would say, "love you sister!" which is more than my siblings say to me, ha ha. And I would reply, "love you brother!" He always read my blog (and never judged!) when it posted to Facebook. What a sweetheart he was 💓

He had been in the hospital, then rehab and was finally able to come home. I thought he was doing better when I found out he was home, and back on FB. But alas: on Saturday God told him, "Well done, my good and faithful servant," and took him peacefully home.

The day before he died the pastor was talking to him. Larry said, "I'm ready to be with the Savior, but I think He might have a little more for me to do here." I guess it was to spend one more day loving his family.

I'm going to miss my big teddy bear of a friend. That smile and the twinkle in his eyes. Two years of friendship definitely wasn't enough. But the good news is: one day I will see him again and we can take up right where we left off! Love you brother 💛




No comments:

Post a Comment