Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Yanni Jr.

I had a dream last night about an old "friend". In the dream his sister had found me and told me that he wanted to see me because he was dying. His brother was there too. I had never met either before, but they were very nice in my dream.

So in honor of my friend, here's a poem.


Standing in front of the closet,

Deciding what to wear.

Should I put on black or red?

And what’s up with my hair?
 

I was going on a date

With someone who seemed nice.

We had spoken on the phone

Not once, not twice, but thrice.
 

It  was a blind date, after all

So I should choose with care.

Long skirt, short skirt or a dress?

Stockings or legs bare?
 

Satisfied, I grabbed my keys

And headed out the door.

Entering the restaurant

My jaw dropped to the floor.


Every woman has a man

That is her fantasy.

Here was mine, his hand outstretched:

My date looked just like Yanni!
 

Long dark hair, mustache in place,

Eyes long-lashed and green.

As far as a blind date he was

The best I’d ever seen!
 

We had dinner; well, he did.

I lost my appetite.

I was in such awe of him

I couldn’t eat a bite.
 

However, conversation flowed:

He was so damned smart!

As we talked I swear I felt that

Cupid shoot his dart.
 

As time went on I found it hard

To truly understand,

How I had been lucky enough

To find this Yanni-man.
 

His looks not only fit the bill

His wallet fit it too.

He said, “Take care of your kids,

“And I’ll take care of you.”
 

I had no complaints with that

And thought I’d found my man.

Turned out I was wrong again

Fate dealt a rotten hand.
 

Although we were the best of friends

I wanted so much more.

He couldn’t give his all to me

So I walked out the door.
 

I wanted husband, lover, friend

I thought he’d want the same.

It didn’t quite work out that way,

I’ve just myself to blame.
 

Yanni Jr. couldn’t quite

Commit himself to me.

The culprit to our happiness?

His homosexuality.
 

He tried denying what was true

To me right from the start.

But still I couldn’t stop myself

From giving him my heart.
 

Don’t think that I went blindly in,

The signals were sure there.

Underneath the big green eyes

And flowing, Yanni hair.
 

Foolishly I thought my love could

Get us past this glitch.

And it did for two great years

But then went in the ditch.
 

Thankfully we never made it

To sharing the same bed.

Otherwise this stage of life

I’d be facing with dread.
 

Trying to deny yourself

Is wrong right from the start.

Especially when what you do

Affects another’s heart.
 

Get all your information first

And please don’t be like me.

An important question does concern

His sexuality.
 

Even if he loves you it is

Doubtful that he’ll change,

Just forget the picket fence and

Big home on the range.
 

Do he and I still keep in touch?

Our paths sometimes do cross.

Of course I wish him all the best

I know he feels the loss.
 

The moral of the story is

Don’t enter love blindly.

Even if your dream comes true

And he looks just like Yanni.

 

*

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment